Initially compiled from songs that I own*. In no particular order.
1. I Must Be High/ Wilco. (Only upon listening to this in the breakup zone do you discover that this song and the whole “AM” album is breakup stuff).
2. Your Ex-Lover is Dead / Stars. (Via All Songs Considered, lyrics are great for this purpose)
3. Optimist/ David Byrne and St. Vincent. (not really a breakup song)
4. Roman Candle / Elliot Smith.
5. Most of the Time / Dylan (Were you not listening closely to the High Fidelity soundtrack?).
6. Ex-Girl To The Next Girl/ Gang Starr
7. There There (The Boney King of Nowhere)/ Radiohead (on some breakup list on the internet).
8. Selfish Jean/ Travis. (Crappy 2000s pop, but I like this song)
9. Romeo and Juliet / Dire Straits (added by a friend: “the content of
the song itself just destroyed me after my first girlfriend dumped me….when I was cut loose, I just sank into that song and
blubbered like a baby endlessly. I was so fragile then.”)
10. Ramblin’ Man / Hank Williams
11. Sea Change/ Beck. (even if you don’t like beck any more, he put out a breakup album)
12. For the Good Times / Al Green
13 Fatal Wound / Uncle Tupelo
*Songs that I own is such an anacronysm now that everyone can get everything via streaming music services. But to me it’s a useful constraint.
** I’ll add to this list based on suggestions. And then I’ll buy the tracks, so I can “own” them.